I am trying to catch anything that need to be done before it goes to body and paint.
Like this weld nut that decided to take a walk. This nut holds the upper panel on the door. Now would be a good time to fix it. Threads are 1/4 -20.
I enlarged the hole enough to hold a nut in place and then used my 180 AMP metal melting device. I doused the screw and threads with anti splatter spray to make sure I didn’t weld the bolt to the nut!
Nut job! Threads in place and all is well.
All chassis component on this car are semi flat black including the front cross member. On later cars, Volvo changed it to a blue gray color.
I found a perfect match to the black at my local powder coating company.The have a one time set up charge so it makes sense to bring in all parts for coating in one swoop.
It is amazing how many little parts are on one car! Like the front end, after disassembling I have another hundred…or so…parts to…ugh, to clean and keep track of.
NOTE spring compressor! PLEASE NOTE: The front A-arms are holding the front springs under EXTREME pressure. DO NOT unbolt the ball joint or A-arms without taking precautions. If this spring was to let loose it could seriously harm or kill an individual. If you are not comfortable with this task, take it to a professional.
Sometimes I wonder why I do this :-/
Petrified! The dirt and grease have become petrified over 50 years.
OK, this is a bit of overkill but I like clean…I plan to blast and powder coat everything anyway.
Front cross member ready for the next step. I will have it dipped in the rust removing solution as well as I want any internal rust gone.
Volvo’s service manual tells me that the minimum thickness of the rotors in 12.2 mm. These were less than 10 mm so these are going in the recycle bin. The early cars had different rotors and they are no longer available. Here I am pressing out the studs so I can separate the rotor from the hub.
Rotor and hub.
Here you can see the difference between the early style (left) and the later style. The “hat” is 2 3/16 tall compared to the 1 3/4 height on the newer style. The old style lasted through chassis number 6999.
I have been told if I use the newer style caliper bracket, I can use the newer rotor. However, I also have to use the newer style backing shields and I would like to keep the original stuff. They looks very different and they are in excellent condition.
I have some ideas…more on this later.
Now I have to inventory all parts so they can be accounted for when I bring them to powder coating. Tip: Take lots of pictures!